CRIME WRITERS AFTERNOON CHAT

The Folkestone Book Festival came to life yesterday afternoon when three fantastic crime writers popped along for a chat and I must say the setting was absolutely gorgeous.

FOLKESTONE QUARTERHOUSE

Sheila came along to the event with me as I have got her into the crime books and she was pleased to meet them and get her books signed. Catching up with Julie Wassmer again was great, her new book will be out next year and watch this space as I will be on the blog tour with my review going out on publication day. Julie was pleased to buy herself a book from her fellow writers as she can now enjoy reading someone’s else’s crimes instead of writing her own.

It was a great pleasure to meet Lisa Cutts who not only writes crime books but is also a very good police detective in her day job as well, at least there will be no mistakes in any of her procedures she writes about. It really was great talking to her, the first book she wrote called Never Forget won an award which must have been amazing for her, especially when so many new authors are rejected many times before they get into print. Just goes to show how good her books are, I bought Buried Secrets so will be reviewing that as soon as I can fit the reading in. I am always amazed at how truly lovely writers or anyone in the book trade are, never is anything too much trouble for them and will always answer and help you in any way they can. I will look forward to catching up with Lisa in the future.

The very brave male joining the group was William Shaw who was a journalist in his previous life and a very good one I am told, but now he is known as a brilliant crime writer with his latest book The Bird Watcher doing extremely well. Sheila bought one of his books so I will be reading it after her and reviewing it. I was asked who was my favourite author but I really couldn’t say as I read so many brilliant books, I could not pin it down to any one person.

The discussion between them and the audience went really well and was one of the best attended shows especially for an afternoon and I would imagine it would have sold out if it was an evening one and left many disappointed people. Lennox who chaired the chat/discussion did an amazing job steering them to some great informative answers to her questions.

A wonderful afternoon and one I enjoyed very much, it’s always a pleasure for me to meet the writers when I spend so long reading their books. I hope to catch up with them all again in the future.

BOOK FAIRIES AT FOLKESTONE BOOK FESTIVAL

Let’s hope the person who finds this enjoys the book and passes it along. #bookfairies

1. 25th November 2017 / 5:25 am

I must look these two writers up, as somehow I’ve missed them so thank you so much for the intro woot

2. 25th November 2017 / 5:20 am

Was interesting hearing about the experiences and meet with friends.

• 25th November 2017 / 7:26 pm

The book festival is my favourite two weeks of the year x

3. 25th November 2017 / 12:46 am

It was lovely to see you at the event, Karen, and to meet Sheila. Thank you so much for this article and for the wonderful photos – all a fitting reminder of a very enjoyable day. I hope you can come along to my next event at the new Faversham Literary Festival on Sunday 25th February at the Assembly Rooms in Faversham when I’ll be talking to Victoria Falconer, the founder and director of WhitLit about why I used the location of Faversham and Oare for my new book, Disappearance at Oare. All kind regards, Juliex

• 25th November 2017 / 7:27 pm

I have put it in my diary so will look out for tickets in the new year, likewise it was a great afternoon x

4. 25th November 2017 / 12:13 am

Great to see your photos & hear about your ongoing writer friendships.

• 25th November 2017 / 7:28 pm

It’s been a great week for me, just wish there were more events x

• 25th November 2017 / 10:58 pm

What type of events would you like to attend? Do not disclose your location (for internet safety). Tell us if you desire musical, visual arts, historical, cultural or social events.

• 26th November 2017 / 5:25 pm

Events to do with the writing world πŸ“–

• 26th November 2017 / 8:19 pm

Three places to look for local writing events. Call or visit a local independent book store for author book talks. 2. Do the same at your library branches for talks & book clubs. Search local newspapers for writing club meetings.

5. 24th November 2017 / 10:26 pm

You really had fun, loved reading your experience ,I wish I could come for one of this 😞

• 25th November 2017 / 7:29 pm

I’m sure you would love it but at least you get to see the pics and read about it x